Friday, March 20, 2009

My Podcast






How to Earn a Grand a Year

Complete Show Length in minutes: 5 minutes and 45 seconds

Episode 1: Too Much Studying, then Standing on Feet Every day, is it Worth it?

Intro Music Clip: Welcome to Miami by Will Smith Minutes: 20 seconds

Intro: Only the Beginning Minutes: 2 minutes and 20 seconds

Hi Everybody! This is Bhumi and welcome to my show, How to Earn a Grand a Year. Today we will be speaking to Dalia Osiem, who is a pharmacist and works at CVS pharmacy. Born in Lebanon, she moved here with her family right after graduating high school. Within a few months, she got accepted to Wayne State University. Dalia, please tell us about your experience through under-graduate school?
“Well, it was definitely a new experience. I went in with a open mind and within no time, was able to adjust with the life style of a typical college student. I wanted to become a doctor, until my second year of college where I realized how much I hate working with blood. I turned to pharmacy because my parents would not accept me in any other field except medical.”
Man, your parents really want that money! Just joking, it’s good that your parents had high hopes for you. I see people all the time stressing over getting into graduate school, how did you prepare yourself to get into Pharmacy School?
“While other Masters programs require a bachelor’s degree before entering, pharmacy school is different. You do not need a degree to be accepted. I talked to many pharmacists that gave me great advice on what I should do, and what not to do. They told me to get all my requirements done as soon as possible, and study really hard for the PCATs. There are only about 50 credits that Pharmacy schools look at. These are mostly the difficult math and science classes, so you have to make sure you study really hard to do good in those classes. They said not to waste any time, and make sure I am involved in many clubs, and do a lot of volunteer work. There are about Back when I entered Pharmacy School in 2001, the competition to enter was not even close to how it is now-a-days.”


Segment Music Clip: I Know I Can by Nas Minutes: 25 seconds

Segment: Never Ending Amounts of Exams Minutes: 1 minute

So I’m sure it’s no walk in the park to get a career where you earn $80,000 starting. Tell me about how many exams you had to take to get to where you are today.
“Of course the first was the PCATs. To my opinion, this was the hardest exam to this day. The reason for that is because of the high amounts of stress that comes with the PCATs. Your PCAT score determines if you are qualified enough to become a pharmacist or not. With getting a high PCAT score, you gain confidence that you are good enough to be what you dreamed of becoming. After my 4 years Pharmacy school there are some minor exams that are needed to take place, before rotations begin, and after. The last final exam is the State Board Exam. This one is needed to qualify to work in the state where you take the exam. This exam has to be re-taken every couple of years, depending on what state you work in.”

End Segment Music Clip: I Get Money by 50 Cent Minutes: 20 seconds

End Segment: Any Regrets? Minutes: 1 minute

It seems like there’s a lot of schooling involved before you begin earning money. Was it worth all the stress and restless nights?
“Absolutely! Not to be greedy, but the money you make with being a pharmacist is wonderful. Anyone that survives through 7 years of schooling, countless amounts of standardized tests, and restless weekends, deserves every penny they make. Also the need of Pharmacists will also be high, so it is a good profession to go into.”
What is the best advice you can give a person who wants to become a Pharmacist?
“The best advice I could give anyone is to make sure they enjoy working with customers and always being on your feet. You have to love what you do, or else you will be miserable, and no matter how much money you make, it will never be worth it.”
Thank you so much for coming to speak with us today, Dalia. You’ve been a great guest, and please recommend anyone you know who has an interesting job that makes a grand or more! Thanks listeners, we’ll see you next week!


Ending Music Clip: Celebration by Kool & The Gang Minutes: 20 seconds

4 comments:

  1. This was a very interesting script, Bhumi. It did keep my attention through out the whole thing even though i am not going into pharmacy. You also used many quotes which kept bringing the focus of your script back to the person that you interviewed. My only suggestion is that maybe put less information in the introduction and add more to the middle segment. This is because the introduction is supposed to inform the reader about your topic. Then the next segment in the script is the mainpart where you give the majority of your informations. Other then that minor issue, I think it flowed very well and the music and all the technical stuff will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very well writen script and I enjoyed reading it. I especially like how you had the whole thing as an interview instead of just giving information. Your music choices fit perfectly with your script. I guess the only thing you could change would be to add more information about pharmacy school and what it takes to succeed as pharmasist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how informative your podcast is. Also, nice choice of music you picked. I like how you put your interview in your podcast. Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In your paper I would like to read more about your opinion or ideas on how to make a grand a year. You can make it more entertaining by, well, it was entertaining because of the comments you made in some of the questions. There really isn't a part you should change.

    ReplyDelete